Your hearing aids are built to last, but they’ll only have a long lifespan if you care for them properly. This involves a thorough daily cleaning. Below we provide an overview of how to clean your hearing aids.
A cleaning kit can be purchased at PDX ENT or at Brooklyn Pharmacy. Tools include:
- A hearing aid cleaning brush with soft bristles.
- A wax pick/wire loop.
- A multitool.
Cleaning In-the-Ear (ITE) Hearing Aids
If you have an ITE hearing aid, follow the steps below:
- Use the soft brush to clean the openings of the device, including the microphone port. Hold the device with the openings face-down so debris falls out instead of in.
- Use the wax pick/wire loop to clear anything out of the holes that the brush didn’t get.
- Wipe the entire device with a soft, clean cloth to remove any debris from the casing.
Cleaning Behind-the-Ear (BTE) Hearing Aids
If you have a BTE hearing aid with an earmold, follow the steps below:
- Use the soft brush or a dry cloth to remove debris from the casing.
- Remove the earmold from the hook. Wipe it clean and soak it in warm, soapy water once per week. Make sure the earmold is completely dry before reattaching it.
- Use a bulb blower to force water out of the tubing, then let it dry out overnight.
Other Care Tips
Other tips for properly caring for your devices include:
- Clean your hearing aids at the end of every day. This allows them to dry out overnight before you put all the pieces back together so you can wear them.
- Avoid chemicals and solvents that aren’t specifically formulated for hearing aids.
- Wash your hands before cleaning your hearing aids so you don’t transfer any oils to the devices.
- Remove the batteries and open the battery door at night to preserve the battery life and allow moisture to evaporate.
- Invest in a dehumidifier to store your devices in at night.
- Avoid extreme temperatures. Never store them somewhere too cold or hot, like a car or windowsill.
For more information about caring for your hearing aids or to schedule an appointment with a hearing aid expert, call PDX ENT today.